Are you looking for a survival lighter that will get you through any potential crisis?
This is because not all lighters are survival lighter. You want to ensure that the lighter you get fits all your needs perfectly without the need for a second one or fail.
Even though having any lighter is better than none, some lighters aren’t made to stand harsh weathers in a survival situation. Some of the survival lighters out there are not windproof, which means they can be a problem if you’re outdoors and there is a storm.
In a Rush? Here are our Top Picks
What to Look for in a Survival Lighter
There are several factors you need to consider before purchasing a given lighter. They include;
Type of Fuel
One of the most important factors to consider when purchasing a survival lighter is the type of fuel that the lighter will be using. This is because different survival lighters use different types of fuels.
It’s also important to know that the type of fuel a given survival lighter uses has a very big impact on the overall cost of the lighter. Also, you want to get a lighter whose fuel is readily available to you.
Even though some fuels might be more readily accessible than others, these lighters’ functionalities might be somehow limited in various weather conditions.
So it’s not all about going for the type of fuel that is available to you but also the overall performance of the lighter. Here are some of the commonly used types of fuels in survival lighters;
Arguably the most common type of fuel among survival lighters. This fuel is so common that you can find it in almost every convenience store, grocery store or outdoor store.
Even though getting fuel for these lighters might be easier than the rest, they lack the edge that most users might need for a survival lighter.
This is because most lighters that use the lighter fluid often produce flames that are not windproof. Also, these types of lighters require refueling more regularly than lighters that use other types of fuels.
These types of lighters do not require any combustible fuel. This is because they are mostly battery-powered. Although some depend on disposable batteries for their power, others can be recharged whenever their batteries go low.
The best thing about lighters that depend on electric current or battery power is that they are often water and windproof since they do not depend on any flame to light a fire. This means that they are more convenient for use outdoors and in any weather.
What some buyers might not like about these lighters is that they require constant recharging. This might not be a suitable choice for people who have no direct access to electricity or solar power.
Survival lighters that are powered by plasma and electricity are almost the same in terms of their functionalities. This is because the two types of lighters rely on being recharged and batteries for their power, and they also don’t depend on a flame to light a fire. Lighters that use plasma are often not affected by moisture or wind.
This type of fuel is often used on survival lighters branded as windproof. This is because Butane-powered survival lighters often burn very hot and fast.
Even though butane might not be as readily available as Lighter fluid, it’s not that scarce either. You can find it in well-established grocery and convenience stores.
Since we can’t predict the survival situations that well find ourselves in, it’s better to get a survival lighter with durable material. You do not want your lighter to shutter the minute it falls while you’re navigating that muddy or rocky terrain.
You want a material made of a material that can withstand all this and still be good enough to light a fire when need it to. Most disposable lighters are made of plastic material which is very easy to crack.
If you want a survival lighter that will serve you for longer without worrying about breakage or crushing, you might need to look for materials other than plastic. It’s also important to note that different materials used in making survival lighters have different weights.
Some of the polymers used to manufacture durable lighters are often lighter than metals. However, if you’re looking to get the most durable lighters out there, their weight shouldn’t matter so much.
Resistances of a given survival lighter are just as important as the material used to manufacture them, if not more. Even though you can’t plan out how your survival situation will be, you can at least be prepared with a lighter you can count on.
If you plan on camping, hiking or visiting a mostly rainy place, a waterproof lighter is more suitable for this. This is also applicable for those who live near large water bodies. You don’t want to own a lighter that will be rendered useless the minute it falls in the water.
You need a survival lighter that can withstand an accidental drop or crush and still be good enough to light a fire without a problem.
Since we can’t count on survival situations to only occur once in our lifetime, you need a survival lighter that is both efficient and reusable.
However, if you’re looking for a lighter that can be reused several times, it’s important to note that you’ll need to get one that is also easily refillable. This means you have to ensure that the type of fuel that the lighter uses is easily accessible to you at any time you need it.
Whether the survival lighter is refilled by recharging it, using lighter fluid or butane, you need to be up to it.
Now that you know about all the different factors you’ll need to consider in your next survival lighter purchase, it is only right you get to know about the best lighters you can get. It’s understandable to want the best survival lighter out there after knowing about all these details.
However, one thing is certain; there are too many survival lighters out there to choose from. All these lighters have different features and are suitable for different weathers. So it’s only right to be confused about which survival lighter is worth your money and time.
For this reason, here is a breakdown of the top seven picks of the best survival lighters you can get out there;
Zippo Windproof Lighter
- Basic and Best Styles Outdoor Indoor Windproof Lighter.
- Custom Personalized Engraved Message on Backside.
- We offer free personalization and free shipping.
- Each Zippo comes packaged in gift box.
Undoubtedly the most recognizable lighters brand in the United States. The Zippo Windproof lighter can get you through any survival situation you might be in.
This is because it incorporates all the features that enable you to light a fire in any situation, whether indoors or outdoors. This lighter is very small that you can fit it in your key chain.
For those of you who like to personalize your survival gear, it also comes in thousands of colors which means there is probably a design perfect for you.
The Zippo Windproof lighter is one of the few survival lighters with an adjustable wick which ensures that you can control the size of the flame you need. It’s important to note that there are different factors to consider before purchasing any survival lighter.
These features make it the best survival lighter you can find. Here are the pros and cons of the Zippo Windproof Lighter:
• The lighter uses lighter fluid for their fuel which is readily available among many people in different regions.
• It has a metal casing which makes them resistant to impact. This means that they are more durable.
• This survival lighter is fitted with a replaceable wick and flint.
• It is windproof.
• It is refillable and also comes with a lifetime warranty.
• The lighter fluid used in this survival lighter easily evaporates.
• The wick and flint easily wear down, meaning you have to walk around with spares.
UCO Stormproof Torch
- Refillable waterproof and windproof butane lighter (butane not included due...
- Field-tested emergency survival accessory features triple jet, windproof,...
- Two Styles (sold separately): With utility that tape tears off easily and...
- Holds enough butane for approximately 700 ignitions; piezo-electric...
- Durable ABS and silicon construction; dimensions: 1.87 x 1.25 x 4.12 inches...
This butane-powered is both efficient and all-weather. When full, it holds enough butane, which ignites over 700 times.
• This lighter is waterproof when closed.
• It uses butane and is refillable.
• The lighter is windproof.
• It comes with a bottle opener on the base.
• This lighter is very durable due to the silicone construction.
• It has a subpar carabiner.
• It has poor quality utility tape.
Everstryke Match Pro Lighter
- The all new Everstryke Pro has been completely redesigned, with new...
- Contains the flint and wick in one all-inclusive fire starting kit that...
- Strikes hot, burns hot: Flame burns at over 600 degrees fahrenheit
- Long Lasting: Each match is capable of 15,000 long burning strikes. Built...
- Easy to use: If you can strike a match you can start a fire (and this one...
This survival lighter is one of the smallest you can get in the market today. This lighter comes with an attachment which makes it easier to fit it in your keychain. The lighter is capable of lighting 15,000 long-burning match sticks.
• Waterproof when closed.
• It’s made of very durable material.
• Easy to carry around.
• The lighter has a very poor stainless steel quality.
• It’s not waterproof.
UST Floating Lighter
This butane-powered lighter is one of the most efficient waterproof lighters you can find anywhere.
• The lighter can withstand winds with a speed of up to 80mph.
• It has a very high impact resistance due to the material used in manufacturing it.
• It is both reusable and refillable.
• It can be lit up to 30,000 times.
• Some customers have stated that the lighter takes several attempts before you can get a flame.
Windmill Classic Stormproof All Weather Lighter Blaze Orange
- Finish/Material:Polycarbonate blaze orange
- Fuel:Butane - 1 Gram Capacity
- Special Features:Lanyard Hole
This butane-powered survival lighter is very efficient in all types of weather. Whether it’s calm, rainy, stormy or windy, the lighter can still function. This lighter’s material makes it ideal for all sorts of outdoor adventures since it’s both tough and durable.
• High-quality material.
• Very easy and convenient to carry around.
• This lighter is both waterproof and windproof.
• The lighter might be too small for some users.
• The lighter’s flame might not be suitable for higher altitudes.
Blaze Butane Refillable Torch Lighter
- Refillable butane lighter with piezoelectric ignition system applies direct...
- Window enables user to determine amount of fuel remaining
- Fuel-adjustment dial controls the flame length
- Blue-torch flame is wind-resistant for precise control
- Weighs 1.3 oz.
This butane-powered survival lighter is one of the most advanced you’ll find out there. The lighter is fitted with a piezoelectric ignition system, which makes the lighter suitable to heat up anything you want.
• This lighter’s material is both durable and reliable.
• It is wind-resistant.
• The lowest flame setting on this lighter might be too high for some users.
• You have to work the ignition switch severally before a flame pops out.
Zippo Matte Lighter
This lighter an appealing color and is also made from very high-quality metal. The flint and wick on this lighter, like most of the Zippo lighters are replaceable.
• This lighter is durable and of high quality.
• It is windproof.
• It heats up fast.
• It’s not waterproof.
Depending on your budget and needs, these are some of the best survival lighters you can get. Just keep in mind our criteria for buying a lighter, including the resistances, materials, and types of fuel. If you keep these criteria in mind, you should be able to find a survival lighter that can get you through any scenario.